Friday, August 7, 2009


If you have been here before, you might notice that it looks a little different. The long wait for feedback on my storyboard has given me time to go into the code on my blog to customize some things that I have been wanting to change. Part of working freelance is doing things like this during the down time. It's nice to have the freedom to work it in when it fits best. But you're probably not here to read about the look of my site, so let's get on with the illustration...

During my wait, I was also able to finish two more illustrations. My portfolio is lacking picture book scenes right now, so I created one of an outdoor market. As you can see here, there is an empty area in the upper right of this illustration. This was designed as a place for the story text to go (see below). The illustration can also be cropped and used without the empty area.

This market scene is a fairly quick study. The first step was to airbrush the entire background with the orange color. Over that I sketched in general shapes with Derwent Graphitint colored pencil and washed over them with plain water to blend. Next I went in with dry colored pencil to add some detail. I wanted this illustration to go quickly, so I kept it loose without a lot of detail.

The other thing my children's portfolio is lacking are black and white spot drawings. This type of drawing can fit many different situations from magazines to chapter books. For this one I started off with an overall gray wash and put the details in with graphite pencil.

Thanks for checking in. I'm working on my folktale illustration now and a new design for my portfolio site. I'm hoping that my next post will include the feedback for my last storyboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment